Where has Reilly Smith been?
I think when Chiarelli sits down with players and they discuss contract extensions, the words "make sure you don't show up to play after we get this done" are said, every time, hands down.
Smith has three points since February 28th. Three points. Let that sink in a bit.
Chiarelli extended him for two more years worth more than $3.5 million a year. I will never understand that deal and will never agree with it.At times, Smith has shown that he can be a top six player but definitely not as much as he has shown that he is a bottom six player. He has not proven worthy of his contract, thus far.Milbury said it perfectly last week on his Cross Check segment - "They must know something about him that we don't know. They must know his character, see his skills in practice. But for my money, that's an awful lot of money to give a guy that's not going to play in your top six."
Krug also only has three points since the end of February. However, he isn't a top six forward playing with guys like Marchand and Bergeron. He's playing with a guy like Mcquaid, who has been forced to play a higher role than he can manage. Because of that and because I love Krug's fierce game, I'll give him a small break here.
This time of year is the time where you have to be on your game. Players really show their true colors during crunch time and for the Bruins, it's crunch time. Players like Marchand, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Eriksson and Lucic are stepping up huge right now to try to save this team from missing the playoffs.
Where is your new +$6 million dollar man? He's nowhere to be found and needs to be held accountable. A game or two in the press conference box would perhaps give him a boost. Allow another guy from Providence to come in and prove something - Spooner and Pastrnak sure have, combining for 17 pts since the end of February.
Some thoughts :
- Smith needs to be taken off his line, I'd consider moving Loui up as he is playing consistent, unlike his linemate Soderberg
- Big loss last night in Ottawa, however, Spooner is continuing to prove that he belongs here
- Personally think this team needs to drop the gloves more, I understand that injuries are devasting this time of year, but their letting teams walk all over them - last night just one example
- Huge four points here this weekend down in Sunny Florida, hopefully Krejci can return and provide another spark for this team
- Hope Kessel has a huge game Saturday night vs the Sens, he'll be wanting those burgers, badly.
By Connor Yourth @Dropper63