You know what no one ever knows what to predict? The Home Run Derby. You know what we are going to do for you tonight? Predict the Home Run Derby. Buckle up.
(8) Corey Seager vs (1) Mark Trumbo
Pete: Easy pick for me. I have seen Mark Trumbo hit too many home runs against the Red Sox and the rest of the American League East to bet against this guy. Every time he is up to bat, it seems as if he is trying to hit a home run. I would be surprised if he does not excel tonight.
Jordan: This type of contest is just built for a guy like Mark Trumbo. The power that this man possesses is something else and he is a guy that can really demolish these juiced baseballs. Like Pete said, it would come as a major shock if he doesn't excel.
Dan: I think this will be a close match between the budding superstar and the veteran in the midst of his best MLB season, but Mark Trumbo will come out on top after he bounces a few homers off of the building in left.
(5) Giancarlo Stanton vs (4) Robinson Cano
Pete: Granted, Robinson Cano is having a great comeback season, but come on. We are talking about Giancarlo Stanton. I remember Stanton was on the HBO hit show Ballers, and he made The Rock look small. This dude is unlike anyone I've seen in a long time.
Jordan: The difference between Robbie Cano and Giancarlo Stanton is Cano has a line-drive swing and Stanton's swing is long and just a home run swing. Stanton, like Trumbo, is built for these events. Not to mention Stanton went into the break with 5 homers in his last 3 games. Oh yeah, he's ready.
Dan: The smooth swing of Cano will be fun to watch as he enters the derby, but this competition has Stanton's name all over it. Just as he has been rediscovering his power stroke in the regular season, he will try to put a few balls out of PetCo as he moves on to the next round.
(6) Wil Myers vs (3) Adam Duvall
Pete: Speaking of guys that can mash the ball, 'sup Adam Duvall? On a terrible Cincinnati Reds team, Duvall has been the one bright spot.
Jordan: Duvall is having a monster year by a power stand point, but like Todd Frazier did last year, I can see Wil Myers having a big first round in front of the home crowd and taking this round.
Dan: Although Myers is the hometown favorite, I just do not seem him as being a good fit for this competition. Myers' power is best when he is going with the pitch he is given and spraying the ball to all fields. Adam Duvall, who many people will not even know, will take this matchup.
(7) Carlos Gonzalez vs (2) Todd Frazier
Pete: In my opinion, this was the hardest matchup to choose. Both players can hit mammoth home runs, but, similar to Trumbo, I feel as if Todd Frazier is either home run or bust, which makes him perfect for this competition.
Jordan: Part of me only believes that Frazier won the derby last year because it was in Cincy. So with that, I see CarGo erupting with his beautiful upper-cut swing and winning this round.
Dan: I am rooting for Todd Frazier to repeat, and I think he will do just enough to move past Gonzalez and get one step closer to back-to-back crowns.
(1) Mark Trumbo vs. (5) Giancarlo Stanton: This is an AWESOME matchup. I think that these are probably the two biggest sluggers in this contest, and it is a shame that they will not be able to square off against each other in the finals. That being said, I have a man crush on Giancarlo Stanton. I remember, a few years back before he signed his massive extension with the Miami Marlins, there were rumors that the Red Sox were interested in trading for the slugger and, well, you get the picture.
(3) Adam Duvall vs. (2) Todd Frazier: Like I said before, Todd Frazier was made for this competition. Adam Duvall is a great player, and he may even be moved to help an actual contender at some point, but I'm not sure he can keep up in this competition with some of the game's elite sluggers.
(1) Mark Trumbo vs. (5) Giancarlo Stanton: This round/matchup should be the most exciting to watch of the night. Two of the biggest power threats in the game. Ultimately, I think Stanton owns this matchup in a closely fought round 2.
(7) Carlos Gonzalez vs. (6) Wil Myers: The second half of what would be a very exciting finals matchup cannot happen without this matchup. CarGo vs. Wil Myers won't be very exciting matchup, as CarGo should and will win this matchup over Home Run Derby ambassador, Wil Myers. Setting up Gonzalez vs. Stanton in the championship round.
(1) Mark Trumbo vs. (5) Giancarlo Stanton: As fun as some of the first round matchups were, this will be the one that steals the show. I would expect both of these guys to put up double digit homers this round with Stanton edging Trumbo by a hair.
(3) Adam Duvall vs. Todd Frazier: In a battle of current vs. former Reds, Duvall will continue to shine and prove that he is a legit power threat for the league as he bashes the defending champion from the competition. Duvall should cruise to the finals while I think Frazier will begin to press with the thought of defending the crown.
Round 3 (Championship Round)
(5) Giancarlo Stanton vs. (2) Todd Frazier: I truly believe that these are the two best power hitters in the competition. Because they are so evenly matched in the power department, I am just going to go with the better overall player, and that is Giancarlo Stanton, and it is not really even close. I feel as if Frazier's inability to always make solid contact (He is hitting .215 on the season) will come back to bite him and ultimately cost him the Home Run Derby. The real question, however, is will Stanton launch a baseball over 500 feet? My guess is yes.
(7) Carlos Gonzalez vs. (5) Giancarlo Stanton: This championship round will have a little less hype than Trumbo vs. Stanton, but it should still entertain. In the end, it's going to be tough to beat Giancarlo Stanton. He takes this round and the Derby as a result.
(3) Adam Duvall vs. (5) Giancarlo Stanton: The championship will be a true underdog story, as the competition that Stanton is built for is taken by the relative unknown All-Star Adam Duvall. Stanton will probably be running out of steam as the finals approach after putting multiple blasts 480+ feet over the fence, but Duvall will do just enough to edge him in the finals and make his All-Star weekend a very memorable one.